Thursday, October 4, 2007

Essential Software for a Cooler Mac

I moved over to a Mac early in 2006 and have been impressed. It has done everything I have asked of it and more. It has become an essential part of my life both as a work tool for software development and in my personal life for music and photo management.

But one irritation is how hot it runs. I know that this is a generally a problem with laptops but I had hoped that my MacBook Pro would have solved this issue.

So after a couple of years of having a warm lap a colleague of mine put me on to smsFanControl which allows control over the system fan's minimum speed. The default 1000 rpm means that I get a hot lap. Pushing this up to 2500 or 3000 rpm really makes a difference and to my ears does not make that much more noise.

One very happy chap and would really recommend giving the app a try.

No comments: