I have been using Excel on my Mac but wanted to know if Numbers (part of iWork) gave a fresh perspective on how a spreadsheet should work.
I have to confess I have not spent a lot of time with Numbers yet but so far I have not been disappointed.
Key features that work for me
- Column and row headers as explicit items but still addressable
- Inline computation of results as a formula is filled into other columns
- More intuitive insertion of newlines in cells (got it on the 2nd try)
- Simple menus and text wrapping as an option on the toolbar
- Sheets start small and grow as the data grows.
- Easy import of my existing spreadsheets
It is still early days but so far very pleased :)